KHS Barn Cat Adoption
If you have a barn or other outdoor structure, you can save a cat and control your rodent population at the same time! The Kansas Humane Society regularly takes in formerly outdoor, semi-social or feral cats that are not suitable as household companions, yet make excellent barn cats and thrive in that environment. Our Barn Cat Program is designed to find homes at barns, warehouses, farms and other safe locations for cats that have traditionally been deemed unadoptable.
Barn cat types
Generally speaking, barn cats placed through the Kansas Humane Society’s barn cat program are independent cats who prefer to limit their interactions with humans. However, the degree to which they keep their distance varies from cat to cat and may change over time. Even those who prefer to keep their distance may develop bonds with their caregiver after positive encounters with people. Barn cats often develop strong bonds with other cats, which is why the Kansas Humane Society recommends that at least two cats be placed together.
What we provide
All barn cats benefit their caretakers! Supporting a Barn Cat is a great way to control the rodent population in your barn, warehouse or other structure AND you save the life of a cat in our community.
Each Barn Cat Adoption includes:
- Brief physical exam
• Spay or neuter surgery prior to placement
• Ear-tip to easily identify previously altered cats
• Microchip to return cats to their caretaker should they enter a shelter
• Basic vaccinations
• Examined and treated for fleas and ear mites
• Tested for feline leukemia
When you adopt barn cats, we also provide consultation on how to successfully acclimate them to their new home.
What you will provide the Barn Cats
As a caretaker of a KHS Barn Cat you agree to provide:
• A warm, dry shelter in a barn, outbuilding, or stable
• Daily food and water - cats cannot live on mice alone
• Ability to provide veterinary care, as needed
• A secure place to keep them for the first 2-4 weeks while they acclimate to their new space (this can be a tack room, large crate or any secure indoor enclosure)
What is the Adoption Fee for a Barn Cat?
Our caretakers can Pick Your Price meaning we simply ask for a donation.
Spread the word!
Please share this flyer with family, friends, co-workers - anyone who might be interested in the program! Thank you for your support!
Barn Cat Program Application
If you have a safe, warm shelter and would like to adopt barn cats, please fill out this application to get started!