Woof! Our tails are still wagging after Woofstock 2016! This year we celebrated 20 years with a special Peace, Love, and Pets theme after we couldn’t be happier that so many of you came out to join us. All the animals at the Kansas Humane Society wanted us to let you know how thankful they are for your participation. Together we raised more than $259,000 for homeless animals in our community. Over $47,000 of that total was raised by staff and volunteers, who also stepped up to donate their time. Nearly 400 volunteers banded together and spent more than 2,500 man hours putting the event together.
A special thank you to our top donors:
- Top Dog: Haleigh Carson
- Top Individual Donor: Stuart Ray
- Top Corporate Donor: 105.3 The Buzz
- Top Volunteer Donor: John & Cindy Anders
And Woofstock wouldn't be possible without the support from our many amazing sponsors, like Davis Moore Autogroup, Hill's Science Diet, Fugate Enterprises, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and the Petco Foundation. Indian Hill's Veterinary Clinic was also on hand at the event providing pet first aid and making sure each dog was equipped with a microchip, which allows them to find their way home again if they ever get lost. The park was absolutely packed the day of Woofstock. Thousands of people and their dogs turned out to enjoy the festivities. We're so grateful for our media partners: 105.3 The Buzz, The Wichita Eagle, KSN Channel 3, and Ashby St Outdoor for spreading the word about the event and inviting people to take part. Thanks to them we had one of the biggest turnouts we've ever had. It is our hope that Woofstock continues to get bigger and better each year. So thank you again for all of your support! And mark your calendars for next year! Woofstock 2017 happens on October 7th!
Thank You to Our Volunteers:
KHS Volunteer Team, AVID Kids, BKD, CACOW Maize S. High School, Commerce Bank, Fidelity Bank, Gap Enterprises, Girl Scout Troop 40539, Kohl’s East, Martin Pringle, McConnell Air Force Base, NetApp, Old Navy Employees, Target DERBY, Target NE, Textron, USS Maddox Group
Thank You to Our Woofstock Committee Members:
Aaron Golik, Anna Van Bunnen, Bill Angstadt, Brian Rader, Connie Velghe, Dana Cox, Dana Steffee, Dayna Boso, Elizabeth Kramer, Jennifer Morris, Jesica Harvey, Karen McAllaster, Kelly Benton, Lacie Omoarelojie, Lindsay Smith, Lottie Miller, Marianna Evans, Mark Eby, Melissa Houston, Rachel Runner, Sarah Hicks-Neisius, Sarah Vincze, Sharon Chapman, Shanna Ireland, Sharon Peters, Shelley Bonnell, Stuart Ray, Susan Woods, Suzanne Coin, Tammie Lohnes, Tim Hofer, Vanessa Jackson
Last week two severe abuse and neglect cases came in to our campus neighbor Wichita Animal Services. These were unique cases and would have been difficult to treat in a shelter environment but we had to help. On Tuesday, we reached out to the rescue group taking them in and offered over $1,250 in funding for:
- Dante, a pit bull mix, with missing teeth, serious wounds and heartworms.
- Nine Aussie mix puppies with Sarcoptic Mange, worms and overall health concerns.
Funds for Dante and the nine puppies were provided by the Kansas Humane Society’s Emergency Medical Fund in partnership with Beauties and Beasts, Inc. This fund also provided care for Thor a pit bull mix the Kansas Humane Society treated for weeks with serious wounds and later transferred to the same rescue group for ongoing behavioral rehabilitation. Thank you to the donors who have already supported this live-saving medical fund!
Thank you to Beauties and Beasts, Inc. for taking these animals in and providing the love and care they need while they recover, we're extremely grateful for the partnership that we share. Follow their Facebook page for the latest updates concerning Dante and the puppies.
With over 10,000 dogs and cats entering KHS each year, often animals need help for an injury or treatable condition which is outside the scope of what we can provide at our facility. This fund will sustain our growing medical costs so that more homeless pets can receive a second chance at a lifelong loving family to call their own.
In Honor of Adopt a Shelter Dog Month we're hosting an adoption event!
Thank you to our event sponsors Scott & Jenny Hatchett!
Friday, October 21 - Friday, October 28
$100 - Adult Dogs (6 months & older)*
$15/BOGO - Kittens (8 months & under)
As always, the adoption fee for adult cats and Kennel Cough dogs is waived, we only ask for a donation!
*Excludes puppies & high profile pets
Woofstock 2016 - Wichita, KS The finest furry festival for dogs and their people has become the Midwest's largest event of its kind. With 20 years under our leashes, we look forward to bringing together many more people and their pets to celebrate a day of Peace, Love and Pets. Woofstock is the Kansas Humane Society's largest fundraising event and proceeds go directly to help provide care, compassion and a second chance for 16,000 pets in our community.
- KHS Experience Tent- See everything KHS has to offer by traveling between each other 4 lands: the land of resources, the land of community outreach, the land of adoptions and of course the land of happy tails
- Silent Auction Bid on more than 100 items of grr-eat stuff for you, your pet and your home. The auctions are closing in stages this year at 2 o'clock this afternoon so be sure to place your bids before they close.
- Paws & Play Kids Zone - Fun for kids and pets! Enjoy painting with dogs, face painting for kids and lots of other fun activities.
- Ruff Races from 9:30am-2:00pm - See if your dog has the fastest four feet in Wichita. Trophies are awarded to the fastest large, medium and small dogs.
- Water Retrieval and Demonstrations from Sedgwick County Animal Response Team and K9 Search and Rescue
- Microchips - Get your dog microchipped at the Indian Hills Animal Clinic Booth/Pet First Aid
- Rally and Obedience - Your dog will pawsitively love this challenging course. Courses vary in skill level and contain basic and advanced commands. How well will your pup do?
- Shopping Shop our Re”tail” District with pet-friendly vendors, including the KHS Woofstock Souvenirs tent where you can get the commemorative 20th celebration shirt.
- Meet J-Si and Part Time Justin from Kidd Kraddick in the Morning at the Buzz booth!!
- Live Music - Poultry 'N Motion
Join us from 9:30am - 3:00pm on Saturday, Oct. 1 at Sedgwick County Park for Woofstock 2016 Presented by Davis-Moore
Help us reach our fundraising goal and get started today!
- Sign up as an individual or a team fundraiser.
- Find a person.
- Find a team.
- Make a general donation. Please note donations made through this form are not applied to a specific person or team but to the overal Woofstock event.
- 9:30am - Woofstock Welcome
- 10:00am - Woofstock Walk
- 11:00am - Best Dressed Contest
- 12:30pm - Woofstock Walk #2
- 1:00pm - Awards
- 2:00pm - Doggie Musical Chairs Contest
- 3:00pm - Woofstock Wrap-Up
Plus, live music from "Poultry 'N Motion" all day long!
Interested in becoming a Woofstock Team Captain? There's still time if you'd like to create a team and collect donations. Let us help you out! Download the Woofstock Team Captain Packet. It's full of fundraising tips you and your team can use to reach your fundraising goals. Sign up your team! Thank You to Our Sponsors
UPDATE: This weeks tours have been cancelled due to no sign-ups. Please check back for future tours or contact us for a private, behind-the-scenes tour. Learn more at the Woofstock Experience Tent at Woofstock on Saturday, October 1 at the Sedgwick County Park. Visit www.kshumane.org/woofstock --------------------------------------------- Would you like to take part in an exclusive, behind-the-scenes tour of the facility with President/CEO Mark Eby? If so, please RSVP for one of the available dates below:
- Tuesday, September 20th at 5:30
- Wednesday, September 21st at 12:00 pm
- Saturday, September 24th at 11:00 am
During a KHS Tour, you'll get to:
- Learn about our amazing statistics
- Hear more about KHS & the impact we have on Wichita
- See how our new play yards will help save more animal lives
- Learn about new programs
- See our Veterinary Medical Center & veterinarians in action
- See the puppy/kitten lofts & our grooming salon
- And much more!
About the Kansas Humane Society
Since 1888, the Kansas Humane Society has been committed to helping the abandoned and homeless animals in our community. For over 128 years, we have helped hundreds of thousands of Wichita's pets by providing them care, comfort, hope, and most importantly, a second chance at a new life.
The Kansas Humane Society is a community resource for pets and people by offering an array of services to promote the human/animal bond, including pet adoption, dog training, behavior consultation, pet supplies, social media outreach including mobile apps, spay/neuter services for the pets of low income families, youth education and community outreach, as well as private cremation and other end of life services for pets.
The Kansas Humane Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and receives no federal, state or local tax dollars, support from the Humane Society of the United States, is not a United Way agency, and depends entirely on private donations and fees for service.