Critter Camp is an interactive way for kids to learn about animals and have lots of fun at the same time! Activities include games, tours and crafts focused on basic animal care and safety, pet training, the bond shared between people and companion animals, the importance of veterinary care and ways to address the problem of pet homelessness and overpopulation in our community. The Critter Camp curriculum is available for Spring, Summer, Winter and Single Day sessions.
Early registration is encouraged as spaces fill quickly.
See camp schedules and enroll below. All proceeds from Critter Camp benefit animal welfare and education programs at the Kansas Humane Society.
“My favorite thing in Critter Camp is getting time to spend with the dogs. Also, I liked the surgery. It was great to see how you take care of the animals by spaying or neutering.” ~Jenny, age 12
"Critter Camp is a fun, educational way to interact and learn about animals. As you go through the day, you do fun things. My favorite part is meeting and walking the dogs." ~Mia, age 9
“I liked spending time with the animals. And learning what to do when a dog comes near. I will love to come again!”
~Ashley, age 10
Summer Critter Camp
Summer Camp is half-day, week long camp, there is not a single day option
Enroll for a morning session or afternoon session for the entire week. Activities will be different on each day while morning and afternoon content will be the same. Summer Critter Camp enrollment fee is $125 for week long-half day session.
June 3 - June 7 (Morning Session is SOLD OUT)
June 17 - June 21 (SOLD OUT)
June 24 - June 28 (10-12 year olds only)
July 8 - July 12
July 15 - July 19
July 29 - August 2 (10-12 year olds only)
August 6 - August 9 (This camp is Tuesday - Friday-no Monday camp)
- Fun lessons that teach kids how to be safe around animals, pet responsibility and empathy toward animals
- Touring our Veterinary Clinic (time/vet clinic schedule permitting)
- Campers will have supervised animal interactions as the schedule allows
- Helping the animals by doing a shelter job
CRITTER CAMP TOPICS:
- What is and why is the Humane Society is here?
- Animal Safety
- Spay & Neuter Clinic
- Animal Careers
- Open to children in grades K-5. Enrollment must be on file with the Kansas Humane Society prior to your child’s camp attendance. No child may attend without current forms and payment made.
- All enrollment is done online. Pre-registration is required to attend. Payment is due upon registration. Space is limited - first come, first serve. Please do not mail payment.
- A minimum of 5 children is required to have a session. If 5 children do not enroll, parents/guardians will be notified no less than 2 days prior to camp and refunds will be issued.
- All persons authorized to pick up a child must be prepared to show I.D. (no exceptions)
DROP-OFF & PICK-UP:
Your child must be signed in when they arrive and signed out when they are picked up. Please do not arrive earlier than 7:45am and please have your child dropped off by 8:15am. Look for an open door on the front of the building to the west of the play yards. You will enter directly into the learning center for drop-off and you will enter throught the front door of the shelter for pick up. Pick up is between 4:30-5pm. If you need to pick up earlier, please let staff know at drop off. Please have your child picked up by 5 pm.
WHAT TO BRING:
Your child will be around animals, sneakers are the best choice. It is also suggested your child bring a hoodie or jacket to wear as appropriate for the weather. If your child is attending an all day camp, please pack them a lunch with a cold pack (we have limited refrigerator space). KHS will provide a morning and afternoon snack.